TR6 Engine Balance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Engine Balance
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 97 13:16:29 -0400
Hey All,

        Well I just had my engine balanced.  They required the crank, damper,
flywheel, pistons, conrods, and conrod bearings.  My question is this,
how is weigh normally removed to balance the whole thing?  They got the
pistons and conrods to each be the same weight by switching some conrod
and piston combinations and then shaving some metal off of each conrod.
Then the flywheel, crank, and damper were balanced by drilling  1/8 to
1/4 inch wholes in the appropriate spots of the flywheel and damper.
This surprised me but I really don't know what other way this could of
been done.  Is this the way it is done?

        He is also claiming that since all the pistons&conrods now weight the
same it doesn't matter what order I put them in as long as I keep each
piston and conrod as a set.  This surprised me but seems to make sense.
What do you think?

P.S.  I had this work done because when I disassembled the engine it was
obvious that piston&conrod #4 was not original to the engine.  The guy at
the machine shop said that this piston&conrod were 20 grams heavier than
the rest.

Later,
JHD IV