Re: TR7 wheels-BEWARE

To: Johan Vorsterman van Oijen <vvo@icarus.tfarn.nl>
Subject: Re: TR7 wheels-BEWARE
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:57:53 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Johan Vorsterman van Oijen wrote:

> Hello Brian,
>
> Read your comments about the TR7 wheels.
>
> About your installation trick:

Johan and List

What you do is chamfer the last two thread off at a 45 degree angle.
This will allow you to slip the stud into the hub hole from behind
(barely) without too much effort.  I used needle nose pliers to
manipulate it in amongst the brake hardware.  Then once the stud is
pointing toward the hole, rotate the hub over the stud and it will all
line up and pop in.  You then have to pull it through with a good long
wheel nut, like for alloys preferably, where you can get lots of thread
contact.  Lube the stud up first, so you do not torture the threads.

As for where to get studs, I do not remember completely.  I got the
whole set initially from the junk yard off two 7 hard tops. Remember,
get the rears.  The fronts have a different head on the studs.

I did have to get a couple of new studs, though, because the some did
not tighten up.  The nurls were wasted.  It is a bad day when you go to
remove a tire and the stud spins in the hub hole.  I think I had to
drill out one of them before putting in a new one.  At $3.5 per it is
worth going new.

Let us know how your project goes.

Brian N.