Reluctant Reverse

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Reluctant Reverse
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 01:01:56 -0400
Jeff Nathanson wrote:
------------------------- snip

Can someone please tell me that I do not need to remove the
transmission to fix
the following problem:

        1) I can not put in reverse gear. Engine off or on - does       not
matter. It
        seems at if something is blocking the shifter from going        all
the way
to the right.
        If, once in a while, I do get it to the right, it goes  into
reverse
with no grinding.

        It also grinds, at times, when going into second.

                Thanking in advance,
                Jeff Nathanson

'72 TR6

--------------------------- end snip

No, you don't have to remove the transmission.  Ok, what else do you want
to hear?

Really, the shifting into reverse problem is in the shifter linkage and
that is in the top cover and that is all you need to remove.   Remove the
cover and attempt to shift it into reverse with it off of the transmission.
 If the symptom persists then the problem is in the linkage (98%
probability)   There are some detent balls and springs in the cover that
are probably the culprit.  Check your manual before proceeding.  This part
is not that difficult but can be confusing until you know what is going on
here.

As far as the grind on downshift - pull the transmission.  Or else live
with it (recommended).

Dave Massey - Have laptop, will travel

Currently in Santa Clara, coming to a town near you.