Spitfire coil voltages

Subject: Spitfire coil voltages
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 97 17:31:57 PDT
I'm attempting to install a Crane XR700 ignition module in a 1979 Spitfire
1500.   The DPO had installed a Pirhana ignition many years ago, and I wasn't
getting any spark.

I'm getting battery voltage at the coil with the ignition switch in the ON
position (engine off).  Shouldn't I get much less?    (like six to nine  volts?)

My Bentley Bible predicts (it never seems to tell you for sure!) that
resistance wire is used rather than a ballast resistor.   I see the wire
leaving the starter solenoid relay, but it never ends up near the coil. I can't
find any cut ends either.

Since I don't want to blow out the new ignition, could someone tell me what
voltage to expect on the + side of the coil,  both key on and start?   I wont
actually run the thing till I get some answers....

I'll be under the dash, waiting for your message.   Thanks!

Atwell (the Human Pretzel) Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit
'88 Mustang 5.0