Clutch fork, shaft and release bearing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Reply Requested)
Subject: Clutch fork, shaft and release bearing
From: Alan.McEachran@anixter.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:06:09 -0400
When I recently opened the bell housing on the clutch, I was very pleased to
see an almost new Borg & Beck clutch.  Just as the PO stated.  However, the
release bearing, the fork, the retaining bolt and the clutch fork mounting
shaft had been attacked by corrosion to varying degrees.  The outside of the
bearing had some surface rust, but operated smoothly.  The splined shaft was
untouched and in good shape except for a bit of old hardened grease.  The fork,
bolt, safety wire and mounting shaft were all badly corroded at the surface.

I will be replacing the bolt and safety wire, and may go with the grade 8 bolt
recommended on the list a while back.  I'm probably going to pull the fork
assembly to give it a wire brushing to remove the rust,  then clean the splined
shaft of old guck.  White lithium grease seems recommended for the splined
shaft (how much is too much?), and what is the recommendation for corrosion
protection/lubrication for the other components.

Also anyone had bad luck with the extra strength fork retaining pins from Moss?

Alan McEachran
72 TR6
Hopefully running in 1998