6 cylinder thrust washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 6 cylinder thrust washers
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:31:16 -0400 (EDT)
Pete & Aprille Chadwell posted the following:

>Article from "Your Classic" magazine, August 1992

>"Triumph Crankshaft"

>'Six-cylinder Triumph engines are notorious for failure of their poorly
designed crankshaft thrust
>bearings, but Chris Horton shows in full detail how the problem can b
overcome once and for
>all'
ETC.......................

The latest thread on 6 cylinder crank thrust washers is very interesting and
sounds like something that should be done by anybody rebuilding a block.
However, since I just had my TVR's engine rebuilt and I don't want to pull it
apart just to do this fix, I think it might be a good idea to just consider
these
thrust washers a regular maintenance item.

I think these can be replaced in my car with the motor in since the pan comes
off
easily (I've done rod bearings like this), but I don't know if this is
possible with a
TR6.  It's definitely not possible with my GT6.

What I wonder is how often to do this- 5K, 10K, 20K miles?  Any ideas out
there?

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com
Lancaster, PA
'68 GT6, my sleeping racer
'71 TVR 2500, my street car and sometimes racer
'85 Dodge Van
'83 Chevy S10
'80 Yamaha 650