SU Carbs - cleaned pistons and hooeee does she run!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, resinext@aol.com, resinx@aol.com, DHoemberg@aol.com, 3030p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil, oggman2@aol.com, barry.bassola@us.landisgyr.com, dave.biagini@us.landisgyr.com
Subject: SU Carbs - cleaned pistons and hooeee does she run!
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
    Finally got around to cleaning the filthy pistons on my TR-3's SU carbs
and the performance improvement is nothing short of amazing.  Ever since
reviving the beast, I've complained to myself its a total dog and been
puzzled because I just don't remember that way.  It was especially sluggish
at low RPMs and the only thing vaguely satisfying was the RPM range between
25 and 35 hundred.   Now the low end sluggishness has vanished and it gets
up to 3000 in first or second seemingly without effort.
    I put Kendall 20W-20 oil in the dash pots (couldn't find straight 20
weight, not sure how it differs from 20W-20) and they are real stiff, but
it doesn't seem to have had a bad effect.
     Its amazing the improvement you can get out of just a little effort as
long as its the right effort.  Next, I'll check the float bowls and see if
they are carrying any sludge and eventually I plan to do a complete overhaul.
    John Cowan