Starter pinion gear sticks, GT6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starter pinion gear sticks, GT6
From: "Theis, Karl J" <THESKJ@edex.litc.lockheed.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:11:04 -0700
Disposition-notification-to: <THESKJ@edex.litc.lockheed.com>
    The pinion gear on the starter occassionally sticks, so it
doesn't "spin out" and engage the ring gear on the flywheel.  I've
become pretty adept at removing the starter, freeing the gear and
reinstalling the starter (record time - ten minutes).  What kind of
lubricant should I apply to the innards of the pinion gear assembly
to solve this problem?  None of the manuals I have address this
problem or state any kind of routine maintenance/lube for the part.
Any ideas?  TIA
Karl Theis