Timing Is Everything

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing Is Everything
From: Kuispis@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:50:36 -0400 (EDT)
A question for those who know....  I went to get my '83 BGC California
smogged today, failed the test because the timing was set at +10 degrees.  Of
course the QualityTune teenager couldn't adjust the timing... "I'll refer you
to a guy down the street that does these foreign cars".   I went to my
regular mechanic, he shook his head, said I should have gone to up the street
where he brings his cars.  He reset the timing to  0 / TDC as the under-hood
sticker indicated.  What troubles me is that my mechanic's manual said +5.  I
assume the PO (DPO?) tuned it there for a reason. What's the benefit, if any
to advanced timing? I tune my baby car (TR3A 1960) as stated in the manual.
  Thanks for any comments,    Frank Zajac, Mountain View CA