J type o/d

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: J type o/d
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:18:04 -0600
My 76 TR6 has the j type o/d unit. When I last drove the car regularly
in 1987 the o/d worked flawlessly. I have recently taken the car out of
hibernation and everything works except the o/d. So far, I have tried
the following:

1. Confirm solenoid makes click in 3rd and 4th gear with ignition on.
2. Confirm solenoid draws 2 amps when switched on as per bentley.
3. Confirm solenoid plunger moves when switched on.
4. Confirm gearbox fluid level is correct.
5. Confirm things look clean when the o/d sump is removed (no further
prying at this point).

Steps 3 & 5 were actually done by a mechanic so I did not have a chance
to see the results myself. Also I have tried to get it engaged with both
10w30 engine oil and TRF's Castrol GL4 gear oil in the box - both failed
to engage the o/d. (uhh, not at the same time, ie. I did not mix the
oils).

The fluid in the gearbox is clean with no debris. No strange noises
occur when trying to engage the o/d and otherwise the gearbox works just
fine.

So the question becomes: What should I try next? I am in the process of
setting up a test with another (known to be working) solenoid to
eliminate that link in the equation. Until then I am reluctant to pull
the gearbox out.

If the solenoid is not the culprit, what are the other possibilities? I
miss my o/d :-(

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada