TR6 Engine Rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: Keith-Baer@idexx.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:37:00 -0400

I recently got a cosmetically gorgeous '72 TR6.  Bad news is that power seems
very low (especially low-end where there's very little torque), plugs are oil
fouled, and it smokes a bit.  Although there isn't a lot of smoke, I think I'm
loosing/burning about a quart of oil in 150-200 miles.  I can't find my
compression gauge, but I know it's here somewhere and I'll test compression
soon.

I'm assuming at this point that I at least need piston rings and probably a
valve job.

Questions:
What is the "normal" range for compression?
How difficult would it be for a reasonably competent do-it-yourself mechanic
(me) with an ordinary tool collection to do a job like this?
I think that pistons, rings, valves, etc. can be done without pulling the
engine, right?
What else can be done in the way of bearings or other rebuild items without
pulling the engine?
At what point will I know that I need to pull the engine and do more extensive
work?
Can anyone recommend a good TR mechanic and/or machine shop in north Jersey?

Thanks for any and all help or advice.

Keith