fuel gauge - resolved!

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: fuel gauge - resolved!
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:29:20 -0600
Thanks to all who replied to my question regarding a faulty fuel
indication condition.

I especially liked Dan Masters' idea of connecting a 100 ohm resistor
between the leads at the sending unit. I was kind of scared of just
connecting the two leads together with nothing in between (this fear
arose after I checked the price of a new fuel gauge!).

This proved that my wiring was was working and that my gauge was ok. The
100 ohm resistor showed a 1/3 full condition on the gauge. So the
problem had to be in the tank sending unit. When I pulled it out it
turned out that it was seized up! Just with some corrosion like stuff
(my car had sat indoors for 9 years prior to this summer). I just
sprayed some liquid wrench on it to loosen it up and reinstalled. Now
the gauge reads as it used to.

Thanks again everybody!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)