spitfire's first long ride and many woes!

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spitfire's first long ride and many woes!
From: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:15:35 -0400
Hello everyone.  I registered my Spitfire today, allowing me to take it
for its first long drive since I (sorta) restored it.  I noticed A LOT
of things wrong with it.  BTW: its a '65.

Is the speedometer supposed to bonce around all crazy-like?  It was
almost accurate, if you could catch it still for long enough to read it.

The front end wobbles and rolls and all kinds of nasty stuff.  It's got
new tires and tunnions ... The ball joints are a little loose, but I
wouldn't think they'd merrit this kind of driving.  Over 60, the little
bugger was hopping around the road so much it was all I could do to keep
it in my lane.

I can't downshift into first, and second's a pain too.  I have to come
to a complete stop before I can put it into first.  Does this have to do
with the non-sych first gear?  What's the point in downshifting anyway?
Why not just dissengage the tranny and coast?

There is no muffler on the car (just a good 'ol straight pipe).  I want
to get a muffler system though.  Are the Pace Setter systems any good?
Would I be better off going to my Meinekee man for a custom job?

Are these the perks of an LBC?  If so, you folks are nuts for driving
them daily.  But then again, I would be too.

Thanks,
Ed
1965 Triumph Spitfire (death-mobile)
1982 Buick Riviera (dead)
1983 Puegot 505 S Turbo-Diesel (2.5 tons, 4 cylinders, diesel.....)