fuel starvation MK3 spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: fuel starvation MK3 spitfire
From: PARKS <PARKS@ithaca.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:04:22 -0400 (EDT)
Autoforwarded: false
Disclose-recipients: prohibited
Hop-count: 1
Ua-content-id: 11B6547B1500
X400-mts-identifier: [;6822041810061997/A15295/IC1]
First, thanks to all the people that responded to my question about
starting a long sleeping TR7.,

Here is a problem with my spitfire that I have spent much time restoring.

SOMETIMES, mostly after driving for awhile, I get missing at high
RPM under moderate to high acceleration load.  When this happens I
notice that the plastic fuel filter that is mounted between the supply and
the fuel pump, is almost empty of fuel.  If I tap on the filter while
the engine is running the missing problem goes away.

I have checked all the connections for tightness, and when the
filter looks empty if you remove it where the imput goes into the pump
a substancial amount of fuel comes out the line even though the
filter looks emplty.

I am going to try another larger filter.  But my question is?  With
new hoses, fuel line, clamps, fuel pump etc.  where is this air coming from
in the filter.

Any help would be very appreciated.  When the filter is full the car
runs great.  When it is empty it runs very poorly.

David

Parks@Ithaca.edu

Thanks