Re: Starting TR7 after storage

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Starting TR7 after storage
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 18:00:06 -0400
Pete asked,

[snip]

 >engine.  The starter trick (with plugs out) turns the engine, but there are
 >no explosions occurring in the chambers to impact the
 >pistons/rods/bearings.  If it's been outside it would sure be worth it to
 >check for rust in the fuel tank... anyone know the "shelf life" of
 >gasoline?
 >
 >Pete Chadwell
 >1973 TR6

I can't speak as an `expert' on this, but after a year or two, gasoline
that's been sitting in the car's tank, especially if 1/2 full or less,
is probably a) floating on a layer of water, from condensation, and
b) depleted of its lighter-weight, more explosive fraction, due to
evaporation, as this fraction is very volatile.

I suggest draining at least a gallon of whatever's in the tank, and
putting it into your lawn mower (if you dare), and adding a couple
gallons of fresh to the tank.  I would add a pint of isopropyl alcohol
before the new gas, too, to try to remove water.  Assuming you have a
successful start, after running the car and using a few gallons of the
above tankful, I'd change the fuel filter, as the alcohol tends to
loosen and clean any old `varnish' residue left from the old gas.

Just my 2 cents' worth, seemed to work last time I tried it.
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio