Re: fuel gauge

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fuel gauge
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:39:58 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-06 02:50:49 EDT, peterz@merak.com (Peter Zaborski)
writes:

> I would like to check from the sending unit back to the gauge. What
>  should I see on the sending unit terminals (with a meter of course) as I
>  lift up the sending unit arm in an empty tank? I want to perform this
>  analysis first because I recently had the tank out for cleaning and the
>  sending unit was removed to replace the seal.

Peter:

I don't know the exact values for a TR6, but most units run in the same
general range. Somewhere around 300 ohms when empty, to 30 ohms when full. As
you move the arm up and down, watch for "dead" spots in the output reading.
If the ohmmeter reads smoothly somewhere in the general range listed above,
the sender is ok. Connect one side of the ohmmeter to the mounting flange,
and the other side to the output terminal.

The safest way to check the gauge is to buy a 100 ohm resister (1/4 watt)
from Radio Shack, and connect it between ground and the Green/Black wire
going to the gauge. If it is working ok, you will get a reading somewhere
near midscale. It's probably ok to just connect the G/B wire to ground long
enough to see if the meter moves or not, but I haven't tried this, so I can't
say for sure that the meter won't be damaged. I don't think so, but I know
the resister method won't damage the gauge.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74