Re: Spedometer reconditioning

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: Spedometer reconditioning
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:04:58 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry,

I'll throw in my .02. About a year and a half ago I sent the Smiths
speedo out of my Spit driver to Nisonger for repair--the odo had stopped
working. Now, $100 and 14,000 miles later the odo stopped working again.
Unfortunately, they have a one year warrenty. Seems to be my karma in
life.

I did manage to take it completely apart for my own form of
cleaning--stripping to odo down to tiny individual components. Two
mistakes I made (aren't there always the first time you disassemble
something) were with the needle and the cleaner/lubricant I used.

Don't try to twist the needle off--the return spring is a very delicate
copper watch spring. I ended up breaking the needle in three places
before I discovered how to get it off (thank goodness for Crazy Glue).
Pry straight up and off with equal pressure on opposing sides, from the
bottom side of the needle. The post is a taper fit into the needle hub.
I'm guessing these things are calibrated by repositioning the needle on
this hub/spindle arrangement, by adding or decreasing spring resistance.
Just a guess though.

If you do decide to clean one of these things, be careful with the paint
on the odo numbers. I found that mineral spirits, Liquid Wrench, and WD40
all soften the numbers paint. Fortunately, I caught the problem before I
lost all my numbers. Soap and water maybe a safer bet.

Charlie "if the Brits can put it together, I can get it apart" B.
Spitfire Pilor