Re: Speedometer reconditioning

To: "Barry Schwartz" <Bschwartz@encad.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer reconditioning
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@nationalpicture.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:57:48 -0500

----------
> Barry Schwartz wrote:
>
> I remember a while back some talk about some of you getting your
> spedometers reconditioned.  Well now it's my turn.  The GT6 spedo
(Smiths)
> is in need, actually I have a couple of them.  Can you *satisfied*
> customers give me an address, e-mail or otherwise, of a reputable outfit
> that does this sort of thing.
>
> Thanks -
>

> Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA
I had questioned the list several weeks about balky instruments for a TR3A
and received some good advice about cleaning.  Based on this advice, I
removed both the speedo and tach from the car, opened each up and using
carb cleaner, cleaned the inner workings of the mechanical units
thoroughly, removing quite a bit of old grease that had migrated from the
cables.  Then, based on Joe Worsley's suggestions, I closely examined the
disk that drives the needles for debris, and removed several specks of
"stuff" using small pieces of tape and compressed air.

On re-assembly, both units have made remarkable performance gains, and seem
to have been cured.

Just one approach that worked without sending off to a $100 per unit
rebuild shop for what is probably the first step they would use in their
process.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Greenwood, MS