Re: Extra Gauges on a Spitfire

To: suchak@lucent.com
Subject: Re: Extra Gauges on a Spitfire
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 14:04:47 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: boballen@sky.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-05-31 00:33:07 EDT, suchak@lucent.com (John Suchak)
writes:

> I'm about to embark on a similar installation for my Spitfire, and I'm
>  wondering if you know what size (diameter, thread pitch, sae vs metric)
>  fittings I should expect to find..  Any idea?

John:

There are adapters available to adapt ANY commercially available sender to
ANY standard automobile ports. If you can't find what you want at your local
Auto parts store, try the local Hydraulics shop. They carry a wide range of
fittings. The typical sizes on non-metric applications are:

1/8 - 27 NPT
1/4 - 18 NPT
1/2 - 14 NPT

For metric applications:

M12 X 1.5
M10 X 1

Some Japanese applications use:

1/8 - 28 BSP (whatever that means)

Often, the sending unit comes with a set of adapters as standard. The water
temperature sending unit I got from Auto-Meter, for example, had
fittings/adapters for all three sizes listed above.

On the TR6, the oil pressure ports are 1/8 - 27 NPT. The water temperature
port appears to be metric? It is not any of the standard NPT sizes.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74