Re: Wheel Hub Dust Caps

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel Hub Dust Caps
From: patstarr@jps.net (Pat Starr)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
Peter, I have soldered #10-24 nuts onto the insides of the wheel hub dust
caps.  It was pretty simple.  You'll need a propane torch like one would
use for copper water pipes and some lead-tin solder.  Any hardware store
will this stuff.  Make sure the inside of the dust cap is clean and not
painted.  Put the nut inside the dust cap - I think I may have used the
bolt to hold it all together but I can't remember.  Heat up the nut until
it's hot enough to melt the solder.  Don't melt the solder with the torch
flame.  The heat from the nut and cap must melt the solder.  Run the solder
around the perimeter of the nut and you're done.  You'll have to repaint
the cap when your done as it probably would have burned off the outside of
the cap.  I would not use the type of torch used for brazing, like your
bike guy has, because they generate a lot more heat than the propane type.

Pat Starr