Low Vacuum at idle

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Low Vacuum at idle
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:41:45 -0600
Particulars:

new cam, new head (the car not me), higher compression 9.5:1,
cam is dialed in, has more lift, slightly more duration than
stock.  .020 over pistons (been in the car for 5 years)
Good compression, 145lbs at 5000 feet of elevation on all cyls.
Got a miss at idle, vacuum gauge reads 8-10 lbs

Here's the deal.  I think I got a vacuum leak.  I hear a LOUD
hiss coming from the carbs, which sounds like the leak.  It
comes from the diaphram vent hole.  It's high pitched and if
I cover the hole with my finger (both carbs) engine speed increases
and seems to smooth out a bit.

Do I have bad diaphrams?  I'll be replacing them tonight, but was
wondering what else I should be looking at.  Any insight would be
great!

Cheers,

-Scotty '75TR6