Re: Mityvac vs. Eezybleed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: Mityvac vs. Eezybleed
From: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:36:01 -0700
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Several persons wrote:
>
> > I can recount my experience with the Mity-vac set-up. I found
> > that it works very well as long as one does not slack off the
> > bleed screw too much. Air tends to get sucked past the threads
> > of the screw and it will take forever to get the system bled.
>
> I agree fully with the above statement.  Air leaking in around
> the bleed screws and/or bleed hose can make it difficult to tell
> when the system is completely bled, as bubbles will appear in the
> bleed hose being used, even though all the air may be out of the
> brake system.  I just make sure to pump at least a few ounces
> (half a container on the Mityvac) through each of the bleed
> screws.
snip

I too own the ever popular Mityvac. It's an important tool not just for
brakes, but also diagnosing complex vacuum systems found on modern cars
too. I get around the air bubble problem with a turn of teflon tape on
the bleed screws (be sure not to block those little holes;-). I've also
heard that grease works.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 racing Herald