Re: Web page

To: swarren@dow.com
Subject: Re: Web page
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:07:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
swarren@dow.com (Silas Warren) wrote:

> I am currently planning to write a Triumph web page and
> planning to make it the best one out there, but know that
> I can not do this with out some help from people that know
> a lot more about Triumphs than me..  In other words all of
> you..  I would like to feature advertising for parts, cars
> for sale, and wanted cars; personal pages; and easy
> web access to Triumphs-Digest (With the permission of Mark
> Bradakis of course).  I have not worked out any costs yet but
> will keep it as inexpensive as possible.  Well please let me
> know if there is any interest in something like this...

Silas,

  I'd like to start by encouraging you in your intent to
enhance the presence of Triumphs on the WWW.  It sounds like
you bring a lot of enthusiasm, ideas, and skills to the
table.

  However, I'd encourage you to work with one of the
existing Triumph WWW sites to improve, expand, and enhance
it, rather than starting a fresh site from scratch.
To that end, I would put forth the VTR site (http://www.vtr.org)
as an example of where your skills could be brought to
excellent benefit to Triumph enthusiasts.

  I've been the VTR WWW maintainer for a couple of years now,
and have implemented some of the things that you've talked
about, although definitely not all of them.  Indeed, I've far
more ideas than time to implement them -- everything I and
others have done for the VTR WWW pages is a purely volunteer
effort.

  If you, or anybody else reading this, have the enthusiasm
and skills to implement such features as you mention which
could enhance the VTR pages, I'd be glad to host these on
behalf of VTR, of course giving credit to the implementors.
If you are interested in this, please send me email
(streeter@sanders.com) to let me know how you could help.

  Look at the current pages (http://www.vtr.org), and see
what improvements you can think of, and have the technical
capability to implement.  If you have technical skills,
I have received many helpful suggestions from readers,
some of which simply need more time from capable volunteers
such as you and me to be brought to fruition.

  In sum, I feel that there are already a significant number
of Triumph WWW sites which largely duplicate one another.  I
don't see much benefit to the Triumph community in adding
another site which needs to duplicate much of the effort
already put into starting a WWW presence.  By pooling talents
towards a common goal (being dedicated to the history,
preservation, and enjoyment of these fantastic cars) the
entire Triumph community can benefit from the vast
capabilities of the Internet WWW pages.

  Just my tuppence...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org