Re: TR-4 Questions

To: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-4 Questions
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 14:38:10 -0400 (EDT)
Darrell - first, what you are attempting can be done.  That said I have some
comments.  The first is that this will involve much research.  The second is
that much of the research has already been done.  The third is that you will
have to be careful of "off the top of the head" answers.  I have found that
some "experts" do not have their brains in gear when they speak.  If I had a
nickel for everyone who told me that I had a nice "aftermarket" widget (wood
dash for example) on my original, picked up at the factory TR4, I could buy
another new car.  My suggestion is to double check each fact as well as the
expertise of the person who supplied it.

The Vintage Triumph Register has a vehicle consultant for TR4's.  Happens to
be me -but I do not have ALL the answers.

At the present time the Triumph Register of America is working on their
concours judging criteria.  (They have just opened their membership to TR4's
- having been previously for TR2/3's only).  I have been working on this and
we are finding that the answers are scattered around.  But, as I said, the
answers are out there.

Having said all that I will attempt to answer your questions.  When I am
positive I'll give you the answer with no caveats.  When I'm not completely
sure I'll let you know why I think what I think.

In a message dated 97-05-16 12:16:30 EDT, token1@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell)
writes:

>  One of my '62 TR-4s will be going down for a frame-off restoration
shortly,
>  and I have a couple of questions on originality.  The goal for this one is
>  100 point car, the other TR-4 (later number) will be the every day driver.
>
>  1.  Should the metal dashboard be body color or white (I have one of each
>  currently).

I have nerver seen an original early dash in body color.  They were white -
Spa White until CT4397, then New White until sometime in '64 when the
mahogany veneer dash became standard.

>  2.  Frame color (again), is the frame supposed to be black, or body color,
>  or (like the Spit) body color over black?

The frames were normally black.

>  3.  Is it true that the very early 1962 TR-4s used chrome over brass trim
at
>  the top of the windscreen frame and around the cockpit?  If this is true,
is
>  there a source for these pieces of trim?  Both of my '62s have aluminum on
>  the top of the windscreen and one is a Surrey Top, but the other also has
>  aluminum around the back of the cockpit.

You may be able to help me on this one.  I have heard of the brass/chrome
trim.   There is speculation that some early cars had this chrome, but I have
never seen one.  The only one I have ever seen was on a "restored" very late
TR4 and the owner admitted that his was originally aluminum.  I would say
that CT13108, your earliest one, probably had aluminum unless you can tell it
was replaced.   (If it is - that would give us a reference point).  But I see
no reason why anyone would replace the chrome with a later aluminum unless a
catastrohpic accident required replacing the whole windscreen.   BTW the
aluminum was "brushed" and mine still looks good thanks to an occasional
cleaning with aluminum cleaner as well as waxing whenever I waxed the car.
 The "male" top fasteners around the rear of the cockpit were chrome plated,
however.  Also the top of the windscreen for the convertible had two black
plastic plugs for the surrey top holes.

>  4.  Is there a good source of reference for this type of information?  If
>  there is I would certainly like to add it to my stack.

In spite of what some others have said in answers to you - I still recommend
Piggott's book.  Piggott's book Original TRiumph TR is a good reference but,
as others have said, is not infallible.  IBut IMO it is worth having!  Again
crosschecking is a must.  So be careful.  If what you have is definitely
original and disagrees with the book please let me know so we can update the
data.  Other references include Bentley's repro of the original owner's and
factory manuals (in one volume) as well as the various handbooks and tech
reports - some from the '60's.  Shop around and you'll be amazed at how many
there are.  Also join the VTR, TRA and a local club.  You will find not only
good info but also some fun people and many resources to help you as you
restore the cars.

>    Well, thats all the questions for now, but I am sure there will be many
>  others in the future, at least if my current limited knowledge is a
> benchmark.  Thanks to all.  Later,
>  Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
>  email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
>   or: darrell_leach-mti@echo.chinalake.navy.mil
>  1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   Every Day
>  1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
>  1965 Spitfire Mk.II
>  1967 Spitfire Mk.III  (In work, lots of 1500 stuff)
>  1984 GL1200A GoldWing  (The other everyday transportation)

Darrell, see also my answers to the other folks who answered your original
posting.
Cheers

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pick-up)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant