Re: Mixture on ZS carbs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Mixture on ZS carbs
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 12:44:32 EDT
Damian,
 Do you own any kind of repair manual for the TR6? If so, refer to the
section on carbs. If not, get one before you do anything else. A good
starting point for adjustment is to remove the piston and, using the carb
adjusting tool or an allen wrench, screw the needle up to where the brass
*head* is flush with the bottom of the piston. Exercise great care when
replacing the rubber diaphragm to insure that the lip and tab fit into
the groove and indention in the carb body.As a matter of fact, this is a
great time to inspect your diaphragms for pinhole leaks or tears. A small
air leak here can cause great problems as the vacuum needed to raise the
piston (and needle) will not be available and give the desired mixture.
 Haynes has a manual devoted to the ZS carburetor that I have found very
useful. It describes the  theory of the constant depression (CD)
carburetor in fairly simple terms, which when understood makes tuning and
rebuilding much easier.
Good Luck,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA