TR6 headers & exhaust plumbing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 headers & exhaust plumbing
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 14 May 97 09:27:16 PDT
Fellow TR6'ers,
        I've been thinking about headers for a while,
and have been delighted with the useful information posted to
the list.
        Speaking with a fellow who races TR6s locally, he
suggested dumping the twin-down-pipe design that exist
for the later TR6s, and use the single-down-pipe design
used in the early cars, with a single 2.5" pipe running all
the way to the back.  Also, that I should try to keep the
muffler as far from the diff as possible, to reduce heat
in that area.
        This certainly makes economic sense; the single-pipe
system being considerably less expensive than the two-pipe.
This begs the question: why did Triumph switch to the two-pipe
system?  Was it a "backward" step?
        As for what header to use, I am leaning toward the
horrendously expensive TRF SS item that is supposedly
modeled after "Kas" Kastner's cars (although I'd prefer a Jet-Hot
coated steel item).  The Monzas sound like too much hard work to get them to
fit, and the Longflows dont look "right".  The muffler I'll have
made up with 2.5" pipe and SuperTrapp muffler and baffles.

        Finally, I'm now 150 miles into BCW.  On the way home last
night I saw a realy clean white MGB, a MIdget under a tarp (it
was red....I had to stop and peek....) and a yellow XK-E (local car,
driven fairly regularly, and pretty original...I've got my eyes on that
one too...that car you leacherous louts!).

        Hey Barry, I cannot get out of work at 3pm to see the laurel
green GT6+ on 805.  Take care on that freeway.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego