Battery and generator problems/solutions

To: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>
Subject: Battery and generator problems/solutions
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 22:09:45 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, rbonilla@holly.colostate.edu
Mark T and All

Spit battery size and mounting is very critical.  Had similar experience
with terminals shorting on hood frame.  Especially happens if battery
hold downs are missing or not tight.  Watch that choke cable also.  It
should have a rubber shield (sliced vacuum hose will do) where it
crosses the battery.

Also, ground cable location is very important.  Have a good strap
between the body and the engine to allow a high capacity circuit for
operating the starter.  When I rebuild the 65, I forgot the ground
strap.  Most of the current went back through the clutch hydraulic
line.  It was too hot to touch.  Watch Out!

I corrected the problem with a proper ground strap and also connected
the ground cable from the battery directly to a manifold bolt on the
engine.

Best wishes

Brian