Thrust washers, Which way

To: ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us
Subject: Thrust washers, Which way
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 07:34:44 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steve,

>I believe that the oil groove for the front thrust washer goes toward the front
>of the engine; the oil groove for the rear thrust washer goes toward the back
>(flywheel) end of the engine.  Is this correct?

The really easy way to remember is that the oil groove, or bearing material
side, faces the moving surface.  The steel backing plate, faces the part
that doesn't spin.

I can't speak with experience for a TR6, owning a TR3, but on the TR3 the
bearing surfaces face outward, from the bearing cap to the crank, which
would mean your original assumption was correct (assuming the 6 ws like the 3.)

Jack (I just did mine) Brooks
Jack I. Brooks          Belco Technologies Corporation
Project Manager         7 Entin Road
201-560-8861            Parsippany, NJ  07054
Brooks@Belcotech.com    http://www.Belcotech.com/