Re: spitfire rad question

To: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire rad question
From: James Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 18:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 03:54 PM 5/8/97 -0700, you wrote:

>You didn't say how you've been maintaining your cooling system to prevent
>overheating. Have you been flushing and replacing coolant every two
>years? Have you checked your thermostat for full opening and operating
>temps? Have you checked the operation of you viscous coupling or the temp
>at which your electric fan kicks in? Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>Charlie B.
>Spitfire Pilot

I have to admit I have been negligent. I've had the car for just under two
years, and have never flushed the rad. I naively thought that was the
problem with my overheating, where more than likely I have a more serious
problem because of the negligence. I went to a rad shop today. and had a
pressure check again same effect, but the car was hotter and antifreeze
squirted out the top of the rad along the seam. The guy there said he could
remove the rad and repair the hole for 60-100 dollars. He still thinks that
if he does that it will likely not fix the overheating problem as the core
is probably plugged and the leak is a result of that. I called a local shop
and can get a used one with a 3 month warrantee for 75 dollars. I think I'm
going to do that. I'm going to leave the thermostat and see if the problem
is corrected once the rad is replaced. I may sound stupid with the fan, but
the fan spins with the alternator so I thought it was only a continous thing
when the engine is, and not temperature dependent.

Comments Welcome,

Jim Cullen
1974 Spitfire