Spitfire cold start problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire cold start problem
From: Sandra Mecklenburg <meck@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 09:03:34 -0600
My '79 Spitfire is EXTREMELY hard to start in the mornings.  This is the
single Stromberg CD4T with water heated choke.  It runs great once it gets
going, starts fine if I wait until the day warms up a little, and restarts
fine after the first time.  Must be the choke?   I tried to adjust the
choke by turning it but this didn't seem to help.  Should I disassemble the
choke and see if there's a problem?  The manuals I have say things like
"non-serviceable."  Also contributing to the problem, the "fast" idle is
way too low.  How do you set the fast idle?

The other problem with this carb is this deceleration valve.  According to
manuals, you should be able to adjust it till it floats (rpm -> 2000+), and
then set it to rpm = 1300 w/distributor retard disconnected.  Mine won't
float, and will only give idle speed (800 rpm) + ~200 rpm when you
disconnect the distributor.

I live at 7400' elevation and so have the timing set to 16 degrees BTDC.
Spark plugs, etc. are fine.

Thanks.

Sandra
'79 Spitfire