Re: tr6 fan belt

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 fan belt
From: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com (The Romagni's)
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 20:12:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I am doing some cooling system maintenance (reverse flush, new hoses,
> water pump & rad cap) and thought I might as well replace the fan belt.
>
> So Bentley says loosen alternator blah blah blah and in step 5 they say
> "remove fan belt".
>
> In Haynes, the procedure is augmented by a lenghty paragraph describing
> how you must loosen a cross-member to which are attached: radiator,
> front bumper supports and some other parts I can't remember. They then
> go on to describe how one should attach a "spare" belt in such a way as
> to prevent one from having to repeat the cross-member step should the
> new belt fail down the road. Huh?!?
>
> Is is true that in order to remove and refit the fan belt you have to
> loosen this cross-member?!? The steering column on the wrong side of the
> car excuse does not work here (like it does for the oil filter
> cannister)!!!
>
> It does appear that the clearance required to fit the belt between the
> crankshaft pulley and the "cross-member" is reeeeaaally small.
>
> Help!
>
> Peter Zaborski
> 76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
> Calgary AB Canada
Pete, here is something from the archives:

1) Remove engine.  (Just kidding :-))

1) Loosen the six bolts that secure the frame cross brace (which runs
just in front of the engine)
2) Slide the cross member forward about 1/2 inch (12 mm)
3) Loosen the nuts that secure the steering rack.  Remove one of the
U-bolts.
4) Move the rack forward enough to slip the belt between the rack and
the harmonic balancer.
5) Slip the belt past the rack and the cross brace, down the fan
pedestal, over the fan blades and - voila - ze belt is free.
6) Assembly is the reverse of the above.

Have fun

Marty Romagni
74 TR6