Re: SU Carb Casting - Repair

To: rcbotting@mindlink.bc.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU Carb Casting - Repair
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-30, Ron Botting wrote:

<< I've tried unsuccessfully to repair the broken cast with a gas
 torch and an aluminum filler rod. >>

Ron:

Last week, I was at a friend's house, and he showed me some aluminum repair
rods he had. He used a propane torch to solder two 1/4 X 1" aluminum bars
together, using this material, fastening the bars at right angles to each
other. When we tried to break the joint, the bars bent (in the 1" direction)
instead. I will call him and get the name and a source of the material in a
day or two (he is out of town right now), and get back to you.

The trick was to CLEAN both pieces,using a stainless steel brush, then "tin"
them with the material. He then placed the two pieces together, and reheated
til the filler material flowed, without adding more filler, and then allowed
to cool.

I was impressed, and I think that will do the trick for you.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, TN