Re: Fuel Tank

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 28 Apr 97 14:35:03
Paul Logue wrote:

>> Took it and my radiator to a reputable shop for advice and cleaning.
He flushed, cleaned and repaired radiator.
With regard to the tank, he said:
The tank looks good.  Bring it back just before you are ready to use it.  I
will put A HOLE in the bottom, pressure washer the inside, drain, flush and
repair HOLE.  You take it home and install in car. Fill with gas and a half a
quart of oil.  Never let the car set with a low or empty tank. You will have
no more trouble with your tank.
I said:   What about etching and sealing?
He said:  People who have that done keep me in business!<<

This brings a couple of questions to mind.  If the guy said Ēthe tank looks
good,Ē then whatšs the point of pressure washing it?  And is that going to take
out all the rust?  And why does he need to put another hole in the tank, when
two pretty big ones already exist?

Moreover, how is he going to repair the hole?  Hešll either weld it or putty
it, and I would never let someone put putty on a perfectly good tank.  Putty
just doesnšt seal very well, and youšll get at least some minor leakage, which
will smell you right out of your car and onto the pavement.

I think the Eastwood etcher/sealer system is pretty darn good and permanent.
Other systems I canšt vouch for.  If you have minimal rust, and you donšt want
to seal it, I would say get a chain and some kerosene, slosh it all around,
empty it out and install.  One thing Radiator Man says, Išd agree with -- then
keep your tank filled up as often as you can.

--
Martin Secrest
ĒSpit Boy EastĒ