FW: TR 4a-6 halfshafts

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: TR 4a-6 halfshafts
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:30:22 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Thomas Leake
<tomleake@enol.com>]]

     Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:53:00 -0600
     From: Thomas Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
     Subject: TR 4a-6  halfshafts

Any one else interested in converting TR4a - 6 halfshafts to CV.  Read on
I am wearing the flame suit, but  I don't want this to be another flame
war as per the rotoflex issue on the spitfires of last year

I have seen some ads in Triumph World for a conversion for TR 6
halfshafts to a systems with two CV joinnts (plunging).  This particular
setup is sold by SNG BARRAT one of the Heritage group,
they claim two advantatges

1  the setup will run for 100k+ miles w/o sigficant maintenance
2  they claim to eliminate some interesting handling quirks that can
occur as the splines occaisionanally bind in the stock setup.

Both of these seem to be pretty nice as it seems the u joints don't hold
up all that well in the stock system

The problem with the Barrat Conversion is $
They want about 650 pounds  (about $900) for the kit.

If anyone else is interested a machinist friend is looking into making
up a similar setup but for hopefully half that (new  joints, used
modified shafts (not TR) .  This would require that you semi permanently
alter stub axles.

If you are interested please let me know, respond directly to me as I am
not currently on the list.

Thanks,
Tom Leake
65 TR4 a IRS