Re: Diagnostic help needed

To: sports6@gte.net
Subject: Re: Diagnostic help needed
From: Steve Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:31:15 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
 Hi Dan-

  My car (74 TR6) developed exactly the same problems as you describe. I
bought new plugs
and tuned the ignition timing which only made the problem more
pronounced. While removing
the plugs, to recheck the gap, I noticed that the front three were
sooted up which indicated
some failure in the front carb. I (lightly) rapped on the carb with an
old 2x4 (an old Ford trick)
while the car was running and the problem dimished for the day
indicating that the there was
something sticking inside - perhaps a check valve. I did not want to
tear down the carb just then
because I was, and still am, in the process of moving and I don't have
the time at the moment
so I did something that I generally shun:

  Someone, in this list some time ago, spoke of the virtues of the newer
fuel
line cleaners on the market today so I went and bought come Castrol
synthetic fuel injector cleaner
(10$ US for a quart) I poured it into the tank and within 10 miles, the
problem was/is
gone!  One less thing to worry about right now.

  There are many products like the Castrol cleaner on the shelf.. They
seem to divide into
two groups: 2$ vs. 10$ a bottle. I'd assume that one group does not
work. The person who
wrote to this group before said something about the newer chemistry's
ability to dissolve
hardened fuel residue.

-Steve
74 TR6

> To all,
> My '65 Sports6 with early GT6 engine has an ongoing intermittant
problem.
> The car starts/idles/runs very well except: On hard acceleration from

> standstill it will sometimes "cut out". To be more specific, it goes
from
> full power to an immediate loss of power as if running on 3 cylinders
or
> out of fuel. It does not stall and within a second or so it will
> immediately regain full power. The
cap/rotor/points/condensor/wires/plugs