Re: Monza

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Monza
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:49:58 -0400
Kevin O'Connor wrote :

 >Regarding the Monza exhaust, the system I fitted to my '71 TR6 was the
 >"single-pipe" version.  It is connected to a 6-1 header.  The problems
 >I had were the exhaust tips not sticking out far enough from the rear
 >of the car.  This lead to exhuast fouling of the rear valence, a real
 >pain in the arse to keep clean.
 >
 >The sound was loud "girgle", and I didn't like it much.  A short-term
 >fix was to convert the monza to a one-muffler set-up, extending just
 >past the rear bumper.  When I had the money to spend, I thought I'd
 >take it to a muffler shop for a custom system.  That was three or four
 >years ago, as my temporary system is still working very well.
 >
 >The sound of my "single-monza" is still louder than stock, but much
 >more pleasing than my 2-muffler monza system.  I've driven the car for
 >more than an hour on the highway at a time with no extra stress.  And
 >I don't have a radio in the car.

I had one, an AM-FM-cassette cheapie courtesy of the PO, but I
only turned it on while sitting in the parked car, motor off,
such as while awaiting the arrival of a less-than-punctual teen-
age daughter.  I'd rather listen to the clockwork mechanical
symphony of the car itself, while on the road - OMMMMM !

 >Finally, I must admit that I like the look of two pipes under the
 >bumper much better than the look of four pipes.  It's not a V12, after
 >all.
 >
 >Sincerely,
 >Kevin D. O'Connor

All this talk of loud exhausts and loud radios reminds me that the
rumors that either of them serve to lengthen male genitalia have
been so far un-proven.

Peevish venting alert :
When I hear LOUD cars and/or LOUD radios coming down the street
and waking the baby, shaking the windows, etc., it's all I can
do to refrain from grabbing a pistol and running into the street
to shoot some obnoxious ignoroid right in the sub-woofers.
   To be that loud is to be too rude, in my humble opinion.

Thanks, I feel much better now.

Tom Tweed
SW Ohio