RE: Replacing Diff Seals...

To: "Ken Streeter" <streeter@sanders.com> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Replacing Diff Seals...
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 24 Apr 1997 08:59:38 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 07D46335F836A041-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Apr 1997 08:59:38 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Apr 1997 08:59:38 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <07D46335F836A041*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Ken Streeter wrote
What is involved with replacing the seals for the diff? I would like to
replace the seals on the input shaft  (is this the "pinion seal"?) and both
output (axle)
shafts.  How difficult is this job compared to say, replacing the rear axle
U-joints, assuming that the diff is already out of the car?     To do this,
do I need any parts other than the pinion seal, and two axle seals?  Is
there any hardware that will need replacement as well?  Are there bearings
near these seals that I may find need repairs as well? Are any special tools
required?
Hello Ken

Been there, done that.  As a matter of fact, did it with the diff. still
mounted in the car from underneath since it wasn't leaking at the time I
rebuilt the whole car.  Soon as I started driving it, though, drips.  Ugh.

1) It is easy to do with the diff. out of the car.  2) No special tools are
needed.  3) All you need are the new seals.  4)  Pay special attention to
the pinion seal as it has a "crush" bearing that goes behind the seal and
you have to be careful when tightening down the nut to get it set properly.
 5)  You'll need a big torque wrench that goes up to (I think) 90 to 100 lbs
of torque for the pinion seal nut.  6)  You may have to destroy the old
seals to remove them as they may be stuck - no problem since you are
replacing them.  7) Don't forget to drain the diff. first.  It is messy.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe