How to check for TOO LOUD

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How to check for TOO LOUD
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:12:03 -0400
If you want to get a feeling for just how loud your car (wind, exhaust etc.)
really is and you have a radio, when you get home from work, turn the engine
off and turn the radio volume down until you can just barely hear it.  In
the morning when you get back in the car, turn the radio on without starting
the engine.  You will be amazed at how loud the radio is. (No, this isn't
Lucas or Smith Radiomobile volume drift)  Some higher level of volume is
normal and OK, but it shouldn't be really loud.

Actually, this is not a good test for hearing damage, but can reveal
potentially high sound pressure levels. Your ears have a natural protection
feature called "threshold shift."  This automatically decreased your hearing
sensitivity to protect your ears from permanent damage.  Obviously, there
are limits.  You have experienced threshold shift if you recall having to
shout to your friends after coming out of a loud concert or other event, but
the next day your hearing is back to normal.  Continued overexposure
however, will cause permanent damage.

NOTE:  I am not a sound engineer (although my boss told me that my
engineering wasn't sound; should I be concerned?), but I have read a lot
about this area.

Try the radio test.  Also, noisy work environments can cause the same thing.
On days when I am on construction sites, I can notice a difference between
the morning and the evening, especially, if I spend some time without
hearing protection.

We all love the exhaust note of a sweet engine reving through it's power
band.  IMHO, however, the noise of the mechanicals is what you should hear,
when the engine isn't accelerating.

BTW - If you double clutch when downshifting, the sounds can be really
beautiful.  You get to hear the engine exhaust note, with the burble at
lower rpm's, then transition seamlessly into the acceleration note.  Plus as
an added bonus, it is easier on your clutch and tranny.

Enjoy your TR!

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A  - needs a slightly less restrictive exhaust system
1974 Norton 850 Commando - possibly the sweetest exhaust note I have ever heard