Re: Judging, Freeflow vs Stock

To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Judging, Freeflow vs Stock
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:51:28 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:

>       I have been running a freeflow system by the name of Stebro since the
> early 70's...Now here is the question to the judges out there. Now remember I
>am not
> whining but am just looking for some insight. I feel my car is very close to
> being the best so I am looking for very small details that can make the
> difference. When my car was being looked at for best of show recently at a
> VTR event it was mentioned to me that one of the thing that kept me out was
> the lack of a stock real muffler. . I was under the understanding that any
> period hardware was acceptable.  Is that really the case on the VTR National
> level? Now while my car came with black plug wires you could also add the
> yellow and black performance wires back then as well. I have kind of held
> back on  re-installing my fiberglass spoiler  for the last 5 years just
> because of this gray zone. Is it best to loose these things before a big
> event and reinstall your personal touches afterward?

Rich, as I read the appropriate section of VTR's Concours judging rules,
it seems pretty clear (at least to me):

     3.6 ASPECTS OF JUDGING: (See also the Concours Judging Form.)

          3.6.1 PERIOD ACCESSORIES: Accessories which were available to the
          owner during the period when the car was current shall not be a
          cause for a deduction and shall not be considered modifications.
          This includes modern radios if installed in a period mount.

          3.6.2 REPLACEMENT PARTS: Replacement and/or reproduction parts
          abound for Triumphs. No deduction shall be taken for replacement
          parts unless they differ significantly in appearance or material
          from the original. In such case the deduction shall be one-half of
          the deduction that would be taken if the part were missing.

          3.6.3 SAFETY ITEMS: No deduction shall be made for safety items
          such as a fire extinguisher, fuel line hose clamps, seat belts,
          fuel filters, etc. The installation must be neat and unobtrusive.

All of the above tells me that your Stebro shouldn't result in any
deduction. These were fairly widely available when the cars were new, both
from independent foreign parts stores and Triumph dealers. Same with the
plug wires, although one might interpret 3.6.2 above to either confirm or
deny the point. ;-)

The spoiler, though, might truly fit in that dreaded gray area, as there
weren't any spoilers on GT6 Mk.3s in 1971, were there? Again, though, as
an item that (I assume) required no serious modification of other
bodywork, this shouldn't detract, either.

That's MY reading of it all....

--Andy