Re: 6 tranny oil

Subject: Re: 6 tranny oil
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:20:16 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On 18 Apr 1997, Ken Streeter wrote:

> Do NOT use a GL5 oil, as this is corrosive to the brass
> components in the gearbox.  This is the gear oil that
> you will find all over the place.
>
> If you have a leak-free gearbox (or deeper pockets)
> you may want to go to a synthetic gear oil.

I have heard no indications that synthetic gear oil will cause more leaks
than non-synthetic. FWIW, my own experience confirms this.

The extra cost per year should be easy enough to calculate - a dollar or
two? An expense I would definitely recommend if you ever use your car in
cold weather conditions.

While it is true that synthetic oil in an old *engine* may cause more
leaks, this is due to factors that have little relevance to the condition
in a gearbox.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway