DIY TR6 Differential Overhaul

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: DIY TR6 Differential Overhaul
From: David Stauffacher <74357.2427@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Apr 97 00:25:22 EDT
I just completed overhauling my 1970 TR6 differential.  After a couple of false
starts, I was able to complete the job without much difficulty.  What makes the
difference is having the right tools and lots of patience, esp. the latter.

First, you dont need all the special tools listed in the Bentley manual.  Get
hold of Len Reckenbergers  Six Tech manual.  He has specs for making the
required, special tools.

Secondly, get yourself a dial indicator, a gear puller and some engineers
"blue".

Thirdly, get yourself a variety of shims for the pinion preload and mesh
adjustment and some for the carrier bearings to adjust the backlash.  Moss or
TRF have these.  Note, the original factory pinion adjustment was made between
the inner pinion bearing and the pinion gear.  These are no longer available.
Now the adjustment is made by moving the bearing race rearward.

My differential was completely torn apart except for the carrier group - it
checked out fine.  I installed a new ring and pinion, bearings and, of course,
seals.

I used a combination of instructions from the Haynes, Bentley and Six Tech
manuals, plus some advice from my LBC mechanic(s).  I will not take up space
detailing the steps taken but would be glad to provide them to anyone so
interested.

I was able to do the complete job over the weekend.  It took 3 - 4 attempts to
get the backlash spot on and about the same to get the pinion preload correct.
The ring/pinion mesh was perfect.

Dave,

1970 TR6 CP51649