Re: TR4 Commission number (was VIN)?

To: 73314.363@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Commission number (was VIN)?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:59:40 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> I understand that your the knowledge base for TR4 information and am
looking
> for
>  guidence on finding out the true production date of my TR4 (VIN CT36711L).
>
>  Any suggestions on how to get the information would be greatly
appreciated.

>  Thank you for your time.
>
>  Simon

Simon,  welcome.  I assume that you got my name from the Vintage Triumph
Register magazine.

I can give you an approximate time frame during which your TR 4 was built.
 (BTW  the Brits call that number the Commission number - rather than the
VIN.)  Triumphs were given numbers in sequence based on the build date.   The
CT means TR4, other TR models had different prefixes.  Suffixes were also
used, examples are  "L" for left hand drive and "O" for overdrive.

The first car built in 1964 was CT 28709.   My car (CT 33118L ) was built on
May 14, 1964 and the last car built in 1964 was CT40193.   So yours was
probably built  some time in August of 1964.

You can send a letter to the British Motor Industry HeritageTrust (BMIHT) and
they will issue you a certificate, suitable for framing,  which has your
build date and all the particulars such as color, interior materials,
accessories and to whom it was shipped.
They have a home page at http://www.ipl.co.uk/MG/heritOOa.html
Contrary to what their home page says, they WILL take a Visa card.
The cost is 20 english pounds ($31.21 last  May you might want to check
this).  You can phone, fax, or snail mail your request to them with your
name, address, car comm.# and credtit card # and the certificate will be in
your hands in a short time.

Their address:
                      BMIHT
                      Heritage Motor Center
                      Banbury Rd, Gaydon
                      Warwick, CV35 OBJ
                      United Kingdom
phone: (01926)641188     fax:  (01926)641555

Good luck - if I can be of further assistance, please let me know.  BTW - do
you know about  the Triumph "list"  (e-mail forum for TR's)? Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
Vintage Triumph Register TR4 vehicle consultant