Re: Gas Tank

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gas Tank
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 06:40:30 -0700
Paul L. writes:
  < snip >
> I would like to flush it out but can't seem to do that.  Evidently,
>there are baffles of sorts inside that keep me from being able to dump fuel
>out after I add it for rinsing.
>Anybody have experience with this?
********************************
Well Paul, no baffles but the filler neck extends down inside the tank and
inch or so to provide a vapor expansion area required for the closed venting
system used on emission vehicles.  It was a cheap way of creating one
instead of utilizing a large external expansion tank.  Actually, tanks
manufactured around 68 and earlier don't utilize this technique (vented
through the filler cap), and actually hold about a gallon or more of fuel.
So, unfortunately, you can't fully drain a later "emission" type tank using
the filler neck.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)