Re: HELP - Clutch forks and shaft

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: HELP - Clutch forks and shaft
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 07:57:28 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Jack I. Brooks wrote:

> Since I have to cut the shaft to remove it, and the components are all in
> very good shape, I am considering having the fork welded to the shaft.  Am I
> looking for trouble?  It just seems silly to trash $90 worth of perfectly

        I'd bite the bullet on this one... There's a reason that the
        engineers designed the fork to be removable... It may not be
        apparent to we the "owner". Some thing that comes to mind is
        there are (I think) bronze bearings in the bell housing... you
        may want to replace them some day... OR changing those fork pins
        will be a lot tougher with the fork permanently mounted to the
        shaft...

        Besides you don't want to be known as the "DPO" by the next owner
        of your TR... Looking at the big picture $90 is still a pretty
        cheap repair...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois