Re: TR6 Transmission Removal-HELP

To: JCBOUCHARD@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission Removal-HELP
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:45:35 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
JCBOUCHARD@aol.com wrote:

> Is there any hope of a semi-out of shape 30
> something manually lifting the tranny out of the car or
> do I need a hoist?

The trick I use to remove my trans without human assistance, is one
of those small 2.5 ton jacks.  Place the jack on the oil drain
plug of the trans with just a small bit of pressure.  A block of wood
with a hole drilled to fit the plug is a nice way to do this, but not
really necessary.  Have the jack pointed toward the back of the car,
so that when you pull the trans it will roll with the jack.  This
technique is also very useful to replace the trans as you can adjust
the height of the trans with the jack, to align the shaft with the
clutch.

It's also helpful to have a jack on the back of the oil pan as well.
Here you'll want a 2x6 or such to spread the weight of the engine
across the pan.  Use this jack to relieve pressure on the input
shaft of the trans.  Thus things slide apart without undue stress.

Picking the trans up out of the cockpit is the hardest on your back.
This is where a bit of help is very useful. Once out the car, you
can probably move it about with effort.

Cheers,

-Scotty '75TR6