Re: TR6 rear hubs-question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 rear hubs-question
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:59:23 -0400
Chad Stretz asked :

 >While we're on the subject of trashing rear hubs, Is there any way to
 >get grease to the bearings in there?  If not, what keeps them from
 >grinding themselves into oblivion after driving in the rain?
 >
 >Thanks!
 >Chad Stretz
 >73 TR6 CF7511U

As for getting grease into the assembled hub, there is a way, as
suggested in one of my favorite sources, the old Six Tech manual;
it involves carefully drilling the hub, for the addition of a long
zerk-type grease fitting !  I won't try to give the details here,
as there are drawings involved showing just where to drill the hole
to avoid hitting anything important, but that is the only way I've
ever seen to do that.

As for keeping the rain out of the bearing, that is the job of the
grease seals, and if they are so worn that they let rain in, then
it's probably re-build time anyway.  If you haven't heard it before
now, I'll repeat here that the consensus seems to be this:  Unless
you have machine-tool experience and access to a serious (like 20
TON) press, you're probably better off biting the bullet and paying
for a rebuilt hub on a core-exchange basis, rather than risking
scrapping your core trying to separate it yourself.  At least one
(formerly active) lister has the actual Churchill tool recommended
for this job, but even he said that when the hub separated, it
sounded like a gun-shot, and hub and attached tool both jumped up
off his work bench, and I assume he jumped even higher.

FWIW you can buy used hubs from some of the better-known vendors,
but expect to pay around $100. that's right, for a used one.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio