Re: Sptfire Clutch problems<H0000897042aa8dc@MHS>

To: steve.gailey@nomura.co.uk
Subject: Re: Sptfire Clutch problems<H0000897042aa8dc@MHS>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:17:08 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
>     Dear Triumph list,

>     I have recently bought my first car (Having had bikes all my life), a
>     1979 Triumph spitfire.

>     Amongst other things this car has supposedly had a new clutch, but
>     yesterday whilst driving in London my clutch started slipping until
>     eventually I couldn't pull away from the lights. I left the car for
>     about half an hour to cool down, and it was fine, though I do
>     sometimes feel as if the clutch has a bit of slip, particularly when
>     hot and in the high gears.

>     The day was not very warm and the traffic was quite light. I had only
>     been out for about 40 mins, and I hadn't been driving very hard,
>     though I had been flipping the overdrive in and out a bit. Is this
>     sort of thing normal? Can I adjust the clutch, and if so how? Could
>     this be an overdrive problem instead?

Morning,

The problem does sound as though it could be overdrive related, apparently some
late O/D had a faultly one-way bearing fitted, I had a friend whose car had
these problems, and it was just like a dud clutch, I can't think of a way to
test it without ripping the gearbox out, it may be worth giving John Kipping a
ring for more advice(01203 645333), sorry I can't be of more help

Cheers

Rich