Re: ID

To: PAUL LOGUE <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Subject: Re: ID
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:32:01 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
Paul,
actually neither is the CHASSIS number... ;-)

The number "59331 FM" is the BODY number, and
the number "FM 67308 U" is the COMMISSION number.
The FRAME, or chassis, number is (if Your car does
happen to have one) situated on the cross member of
the frame, under the stearing rack. Most frames do
not have this one... (Mine doesn't but my ex's did.)

Unfortunately most countries use the Commission number
as the identity for registration... On most Triumphs
it can only be found on a pop riveted aluminium piece
(easily faked...). They can be bought as blanks from
(among others) Classic Restaurations in GB.

Here in Sweden we've got major problems with this, if
the man doing the annual safety and emissions test
finds a frame number (differing from the registrations
so called chassis number, as they all are!) all hell
brakes loose!!! "The car is stolen...", "The car is a
fake..." etc. Immediately a prohibition to drive is
given and the owner has got LOTS of problems ahead...

So my guess is that the same is the situation in Your
country - meaning that what the registration calls
the chassis number is actually the Commission number
FM 67308 U.

BFN
Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,