Re: Rear Spring Sprung-Help !

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Sprung-Help !
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 07:47:50 -0700
Erik, and Andy writes:  (with judicious snipping)

>> So ...the camber on my '77 Spit 1500 has looked a bit off...
>>. We can't do the alignment  until this is corrected. We also discovered
you need >>2 upper ball joints and some front sway bar bushings replaced.
Whole job, parts, >>labour and alignment will run you about $1100.00.
Whad'ya wanna do?"
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<  Andy responds >

> but I can't imagine it costing that kind of money. You probably could do
about 95% >of the work yourself, and go back to perhaps someone else(?) to
do a complete
>four-wheel alignment. . .

>Otherwise, even factoring in a four-wheel alignment, which I suppose could
>approach three figures, I'm baffled as to how anyone could ask your charge
>card to carry an $1100 load!

I agree with Andy ( as is usually the case <G>).  The work is not difficult,
but mostly time consuming and tiresome for someone who hasn't done it
before.  Done it many times myself.  And that seams a bit pricey, even
buying a new spring (which is the route to go) around $180, and COMPLETE
front suspension kit which includes ALL replaceable parts in the front end
(except sway bar bushes at around $4 pr.) and ball joints you looking at
another $160-$180 for a total of less than $400.  Man for $700+ I'll do the
job - NO SWEAT!  One a week and I'll quit my job!  I'm obviously in the
wrong business!!
By the way, a sagging rear spring is not dangerous (unless broken).  It will
just cause undue wear on the tires and handling will suffer a bit (every
thing else remaining stock) and you won't be able to load the trunk (boot)
as much without bottoming. . .And remember, the only *adjustment* at the
rear is toe in/out.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)