[Fwd: Windsceen replacement]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Windsceen replacement]
From: Barry Shefner <jacad@cam.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:58:58 -0400
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:57:01 -0400
From: Barry Shefner <jacad@cam.org>
To: moesim@juno.com
Subject: Windsceen replacement

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:19:49 EDT
From: moesim@juno.com (C M Michalski)
Subject: TR3 windscreen

Fellow listers,
        I have recently acquired a '63 TR3B (to replace the '59 that was
totaled last summer) and it needs some tinkering to be road worthy.  I
have been reading various threads on subjects that will eventually be
important to me as I get to them and I'm sure there will be many more
posts to the list.
        But my first question concerns the installation of a new
windscreen.  I have the entire assembly apart and old glass out.  I have
the seals, etc. to do the build-up, butt having never done this before,
wondered if there are any precautions, hints or tricks in getting the
new
glass/rubber seal in the frame without botching up either.  As usual,
when you buy the parts, instructions are extra, same as in a repair shop
I presume.
        Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike Michalski     moesim@juno.com

Mike,

   Changing the windscreen is not too difficult but you have to be
pretty gentle about it.
1) remove winscreen from the car via the 4 locking bolts
2) remove the two small curved chrome plates held by the tiny 2 screws
on either side of the inside base of the windscreen.
3)there are 3 screws along the outside of each side of the windscreen
which hold on the side brackets ...remove them but mark which ones go in
each hole as the bottom/ middle and top screws vary in length (I believe
the longer one (about 1/16"longer) is the one at the bottom) If you put
the bottom screw in the top hole when reassembling you will crack your
windsheild
4) lift up the bottom rubber and you will find 2 screw on either end
securing the base to the frame, remove them and then separate the base
from the windscreen (it will pull apart with a bit of effort).
5) remove the old winscreen from the surround frame along with the
rubber seal. (you may have to break the windscreen to get it out if it's
been in there a long time.
6) clean well all windscreen frame slots
7) lay your flat rubber seal centered along the surrounding edge of your
windscreen and fit it into the upper frame. This will definitely require
2 people and you may need to tap it in using a rubber hammer.
8) fit bottom frame to windscreen ensuring tight fit at the corners.
9) insert the 2 screws in the base on either side
10) with a sharp knife, trim the excess rubber from around the
windscreen You can use the frame edge as your cutting guide. Flip
windscreen and do the same for the other side
11) reattach side members being careful not to overtighten the 3 screws
and ensuring that you insert the proper length in the correct hole
12) If you are changing your top and bottom rubber weather seals, they
have to slide onto the upper and lower part of your frame. Best thing to
do is grease them well before trying it as these seals are very stubborn
and have to be pulled all the way through from one side to the other
13) trim the rubber top & bottom seals
14) replace the 2 small chrome brackets in either corner using the tiny
screws
15) voila ....now just reattach to car

few small notes:
a) take note of the direction of the top and bottom seals before
removing and replace in same direction
b) take note of how the upper and lower seals are cut at the ends
c) If you need to replace any of the small lift the dots along the top
frame make sure that you use a plastic washer or gring down the end as
the newer ones are too long and you will end up cracking your windsheild
 when you tighten them (my friend did that to mine just as we were
finishing the job and we had to start all over)

Good luck

Barry Shefner
59 TR3A OTS 57675